Greasin' up the elbows to get the job done!

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Sand Da Floor (or chair as the case may be)



Well I managed to get some half-decent pictures of the pieces of the chair a couple weeks ago. I've been doing all of the work in the garage, and for some reason mostly on cloudy days. When I finally got the pieces out of the garage, into the sunlight I realized that some of them could use a bit more time with the stripper (who couldn't use a bit more time with a stripper), before I go at them with the sandpaper.


Sanding hasn't been going all that well. First, at the beginning of the year I got sick which put me down for the count for a while. Second, I went back to my day job on 1/5, which means I have a lot less free time to work on the chair. As well, I have less energy to work on it in the evening. Not to mention that the garage doesn't really have a proper light. Once I'm in full-on sanding mode, I may move the operation inside, but we have enough trouble keeping the house semi-clean without me moving my chair crap into the living room, I kind of doubt that will happen.



One thing I did discover in the sanding that I have done, sandpaper, apparently expires. Or if it doesn't expire, it doesn't do so well in non-temperature controlled environments. I had so old(er) sandpaper that I purchases back in 2007 and began sanding with that. A given sheet of sandpaper would wear in a couple minutes of sanding, which is kind of frustrating. After I going through a good portion of my supply of snadpaper was trash. Now when purchasing a tool (yes snadpaper qualifies as a tool), I have a philosphy. If I don't know exactly which tool is best, I buy a few, and try them all, as long as it is economical. Sandpaper and it's variants are cheap, so it is economical to buy a few different kinds. The sanding will be a 2 step process, one phase with rougher grain to remove the remaining stain, and a second phase with finer grain to prep the wood to recieve the new stain. As such I needed to two different grains of snadpaper, and thus $30 worth of sanding implements.


No comments:

Post a Comment