Greasin' up the elbows to get the job done!

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Pondering...


What Next?
Originally uploaded by chromie
I'm happy that the crochet/knit bug has hit me again. As fate would have it, just as I started this roll, I received a few books I won in a drawing I entered at Felt Club in November!

One of them was a book on cable knitting, which is a knitting weakness of mine. Aside from the basics, there are some amazing new patterns I've never seen, including a pattern for a ribbed cable pattern, which allows the usual one-sided cable design double-sided. I AM STOKED! Add to the mix a pattern that included a ribbon that was threaded through cables gave me the idea to make a hat with ear flaps that would have a ribbon running through the ear sides so it can be tied up top and under the chin.


Test Swatch (Front)
Originally uploaded by chromie

After testing out the cable for myself and seeing how it would look when a double-sided cable stitch would look with a ribbon through it (turns out, it only shows on one side).

After some monkeying around, I got the gauge sorted out and have the pattern for the ear flap panel, but now I'm a bit stuck on how the back and front panels should look. More cables? Moss stitch the whole part? One rib going up?

I'm at the row I'd like to start that, and still nothing. Cable knitting is a very strategic technique...

No comments:

Post a Comment