Greasin' up the elbows to get the job done!

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The 6 year project...background.



So about 6 1/2 years ago I was laid-off from my first real job as a software engineer.  Honestly, I was glad.  They gave me a heap of money to go away and I hated that job anyway.  Which plenty of time to rock climb and... huh, not much else.  Problem was, I was locked into a lease and none of my friends were unemployed so I didn't have anyone to climb with.  Were I more ambitous I would have dug around and rectified both of these situations, but I guess I was too lazy.  Sometime in the first month I got it into my head to refinish this old chair that I'd inherited from my parents sometime during college.  You know, one those pieces of furniture that your parents are happy to get rid of when it populates your first apartment, and usually doesn't survive the college years.  This chair was built in the 50s (my guess).  It's contemporary Danish piece that is very special, and was likely bought at some place like Sears.  Still, I liked the chair thought it would look nice with a new dark finish and some new cushions.


So, I went out bought some stripper and some sand paper and a scraper.  Wanting to do it "right" I took the whole chair apart and put the screw into a zip-lock to be later lost.  Over the next few I spent probably a total of 10 hours working on the chair.  I essentially finished stripping on piece and did an initial sanding of that piece.  At this point, a friend, who had done something similar suggested I use this product that she had used.  I can't recall the name, but it was one of those as-seen-on-tv type products.  She claimed to get good results.  I did not and as my life drifted towards me going back to school to study geology, the chair got left by the way side.  It followed me, though.  It followed me to Carrboro, NC.  Two seperate apartments and a house.  And eventually, it followed me to Pasadena.  Thanks to my very generous girlfriend.  In Pasadena, the pieces of the chair have mostly sat in the garage, and again mostly been neglected. Until now.

Last summer, I became very sick.  That is another story.  I'm recovering, which has afforded me MUCH more time around the house.  I've finally
 become well enough to make it back out to the garage.  And inspired, to do SOMETHING. I've started on the chair again.  Luckily I have the second chair, for reference.  Since starting I've just about finished stripping the wood.  Unfortunately, the old chair had been stained at least twice, more likely 3 times.  Which has required me using the stripper multiple times on each piece to break down the layers.  Even  then, I have to sand the final stain down - which also unfortunately mean I have to do 2 stage sanding.  Once, to remove the last of the stain, and once to prep the wood for the new stain.  It's going to be a darker (likely reddish) stain so question is, why go to all that effort.  Well, it's my belief, based on not much knowledge, that ultimately the wood will look better with the new stain, if all of the old stain has been removed.  Well, I'm sanding now.  I don't yet have in-progress pictures of the chair because the garage is dark and I'm waiting for a nice sunny day to take some pics  Here some more pics of the othe chair, sans pillows.


No comments:

Post a Comment