Greasin' up the elbows to get the job done!

Monday, January 19, 2009

Eureka!

I have just learned a new knitting technique that will turn my knitting world upside down...in a good way.

I have discovered Magic Loop Knitting. The technique has been around for a long time, but being one of those people who learned from a book, my skills are limited to what I taught myself. Thank goodness for the wonders of the Internet and Ravelry.com. Oh, social networking sites are the global watering coolers.



Knitting in the round is thought to be a scary technique, but I am super partial to it (as many people are). What I don't like about knitting in the round is that when you have to decrease, circular needles do not have a cable that's not short enough to work off some of the decreases, like a top of a hat, for example. In order to work with smaller circumferences, double pointed needles are used.


Doesn't that look scary?


Making things with smaller circumferences, such as socks, are typically made using double pointed needles, because needles with a cable that short cannot be made. Using the magic loop technique, all you need is a pretty long circular needle, which I love, and you don't have to worry about dropping needles and after a quick go with the technique, I knit a lot more consistently without "ladders" between areas from double pointed needle changes (see dpn article link above).

Even awesomer is that there are ways one doesn't have to have a crazy long circular needle and work with some crazy loops coming out of your little work with this technique:



Excuse me while I geek out.

No comments:

Post a Comment